Saturday, June 24, 2017

Guitar Man

     Inspired after a worship service to build a Miniland-scale guitar, the rest of the figure took shape through trial and error, and also as new visual ideas came to mind. I hope to do a series of these characters playing different instruments, but right now I have only the guitar figure. Here is just the basic figure, no fancy backgrounds:
     As you can see, I built the figure in grayscale, and you will see why later. The figure himself is simple, I was never focused on making him fancy, I planned to emphasize something else. I added an amp sort of as a prop; I wanted something for our music man to lean on. However it is in a sense "functional", as I added a cord that connects it to the guitar. The guitar is not actually held by the figure, rather, an open stud on the back of it inserts into the open hole of a Technic brick on the figure's body. Here is the reason the figure is in grayscale:
     This was the reason I wanted grayscale: it was supposed to represent the power of music. As he strums his guitar, he (and his amp) radiates color and joy, the effects of music in a cold and muted world. The pose, amp, and guitar come together to portray a sense of power, as if this one chord could rid the world of disease, suffering, and death. Though I loved the idea in my head, I feel that I didn't represent it that well in LEGO, so here is another presentation I came up with:
     I felt like this presentation mirrored that of a concert: a lone spotlight on the guitarist, the camera gazing up at the figure as if from the front row of a crowd. This is my favorite interpretation of this build, and the one I would like to replicate for my other figures as I build them. For last I have a shot of solely the guitar, the inspiration for this whole build. Sometime I'll get around to uploading instructions on how to build it.


No comments:

Post a Comment